Sunday, October 21, 2012

Go Band!

I think it is well established by now that I am an unapologetic band geek.  I also have an interest in encouraging younger generations of band geeks, mainly because of the lack of encouragement I received.  My mother attended every concert I performed in until they moved to Nevada, but otherwise, the music department at my high school (and later college) were not eagerly participated in or recognized.  So I think it's important that the kids in our schools know that there are people in the community that support them-- not just parents going to support their own kids, but just a community member who wants to watch students perform well in a passion I share with them.
That is why I found myself on a bus at 5:30 Saturday morning, traveling two and a half hours to a marching competition.  I walked along side the band in a parade and watched as they performed their field show.  Got off the bus late in the evening, plopping down on my couch well after dark.
The band did so AWESOME.  They won the inspection award and got a superior rating (the highest rating) on the parade portion AND the field show portion.  They were the only band to get the inspection award, so we consider that a solid win.
Apparently, Mr. Schlake promised to shave his head if they did that well.  I am hoping to catch a glimpse of him later on in the week to see if he looks much different sans hair.

Here are a few pictures of the festivities yesterday.

 Preparation for the show
 Doing their little "dance" during the cadence.
 Schlake marching along side the band
 Drum major Phoebe leading the group
We won!

No comments:

Post a Comment