Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Things You Notice

Today, we played tourist in our small town with "Simon" and Gail as they spend time with us.  Their arrival yesterday was unplanned and the time they are leaving is still unplanned.  As far as I know, I think they are leaving tomorrow morning, but they may get bored and take off this afternoon after we finish the movie, Despicable Me. 
Yes, I did just say movie.  Which means that it took less than a morning to show our family all the touristy places we knew of in town that are open this time of year.  After a leisurely morning with crock pot oatmeal *yumm* and a run on my part we started the day-tripping.  A quick trip to Boot Hill, a looooong walk through the Petrified Wood Gallery, a visit to Lou Kraus Music where I work and a drive out to the lake.  Lunch at Homemade Heaven (um... this is the third time in the past week I've been to Homemade Heaven...) and then home where I now sit typing this as the movie plays. 

I like experiencing our little, odd-named town.  It was interesting to see what other people come to visit for.  I see Ogallala every day and notice all sorts of things about it that I really love, but they aren't things that would necessarily attract other people.

For instance, as the "Crazy-Walking-Lady" and a local runner and biker, I notice all sorts of things on our residential streets.  I see the many breeds of dogs that Ogallala residents own, the cats that are always a little cautious of passers-by, the rabbits in all stages of life that take over the town in the summer.  I notice the way people decorate their houses, how much better they take care of their lawns than I do.  I even notice cracks in the sidewalk, or the times when those filling them get bored and initial the asphalt.  This is on the corner of East M and 8th, close to my house.  I feel like I could claim that street, since my initials are on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment