Saturday, December 31, 2011

It Ends Tonight

This morning I gathered up my running  gear-- there is a lot in the winter-- to meet Danielle for a run.  It was kind of perfect that today, the last day of 2011, I would meet with Danielle and do this activity.  It is also kind of perfect that it was followed by a lunch with Karla and a quiet afternoon at home with my husband.
This year, I fell in love with running.  I do it out of pure enjoyment rather than competition or weight loss or anything else.  It is what I wake up to now, a habit.  But a habit that has steadily been improving in speed and form.  My distances are longer than ever before, I have hit higher speeds, I have accomplished grander goals.
I made new friends this year, something that is difficult for me to do.  Danielle and I have run together a few times and spent some time together and it's been so nice to have someone my age to talk to.  She is driven, intelligent, hilarious and kind.  She invites me to things; to run with her, to do races, to go to Christmas plays that last entirely too long.  Her and her husband Nate are new friends that I hope we can continue to get to know in the coming year. 
Karla can described in one word; spunk.  She is spunky, upbeat, fun.  She is also very nice and a great asset to the music community here in Ogallala.  Kurt, her son, has been my clarinet student for quite some time and it's been really fun having occasional lunch dates with Karla and seeing how a private instructor who has been at it longer than me handles things. 
And this afternoon, I plan on reading a training guide for Triathlons with David laying at my feet.  I would never have been interested in this sort of thing before and Jim would not have either, but now I am helping him train for his first.  I am reading about the glycemic index and how it can help athletes to understand it.  I'm actually an athlete now... I, the band geek and social loser of high school, am a health conscious runner with friends.  Who would have thought.

This year had a lot of big events take place that will hold it in our minds and hearts.  Joan, my mother-in-law passed away.  My little sister-in-law graduated.  My older sister-in-law had a son.  My dad was in the hospital.  My father-in-law retired.  Jim and I went to Salt Lake City and Chicago. 

But this year also held a steady growth and change in a good direction.  We're healthier, I am busier, our dogs are more well behaved. 

Have a happy New Year.  2011 ends tonight and won't ever be coming back.  May your 2012 be blessed and God-centered.  That is our goal in our home and our prayer for yours.
("White board" sticker on my music room wall where I usually write inspirational music quotes)

No comments:

Post a Comment