Saturday, December 10, 2011

Time, Words and Pictures


We capture memories in a variety of ways.  We write down important dates on the calendar to remember the most important memories.  We celebrate them once a year in honor of the original event.  We write things down.  We share with a friend.  We take pictures.

Today, I do all of those things.  My calendar proudly displays OUR ANNIVERSARY in the small box, with squiggles and hearts around it because writing it just wasn't enough.  We have been planning our anniversary evening for a while now and since all of those plans fell through, we are prepared to celebrate with an air mattress on the living room floor, watching my Christmas present on the big screen and eating take-out Chinese food.  Today, we celebrate that 5 years ago we made a commitment to each other, exchanged vows and became man and wife.

Which is why I chose today to start my personal challenge.  A lot has happened in the past few years and I haven't written enough of it down, I haven't shared enough with anyone and my camera hasn't seen enough action.  Someday, I may forget those events that I didn't write on the calendar and celebrate every year.  But maybe I can document a few things this year to remember for the rest of my life.

A picture is worth 1,000 words the saying goes.  And I plan on documenting this year with 366 (2012 is a leap year) pictures.  The equivalent of a picture a day, but I won't be blogging every single day-- that would be exhausting.  If you plan on counting my words, you'll be the only one.  I just wanted to challenge myself into 1. becoming a more regular and more disciplined blogger, 2. make some great memories and get some great pictures of them and 3. let the people I make them with know that they are important and loved. 

So today, as I celebrate my marriage of 5 years to the greatest husband, I also celebrate the start of something I've never done before.

Drum roll, please...

the first picture of the 366 picture challenge blog is of the flowers I received at work from my husband this morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment