Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Aunt Sue

When I was younger and still went wherever my parents took me for the holidays, I often times would find myself visiting at Grandma Hurley's house in Riverton, Wyoming.  Other than the early morning stroll to get a newspaper with my dad, the best memories from these trips was seeing my favorite aunt.  Aunt Sue (whose real name is actually Leslie) was always there.  I remember strange things about my visits with her-- like she always smelled good and she hated real hugs.  We would "mime hug" whenever we saw each other.  She would braid my hair sometimes, or include me in the early evening card games.  She also showed me how to make ham rolls.  My first clarinet was actually her clarinet.  I now have the keys displayed in my music room.  Aunt Sue always had beautiful long blond hair and pretty blue eyes.  My cousin Becky, her daughter, always had long black hair.  They were always so pretty.
I had already been warned by mom that her pretty blond hair was gone.  In it's place, a short blond wig.  But it was still my sweet Aunt Sue. 
Her apartment was small but cute and great for what she had to do.  A small apartment where she could be by herself or have company while she did six weeks of radiation treatment.  She knew her neighbors in the building and the owner, a lady with a cute English accent, was extremely friendly.
The routine was pretty routine during my stay in SLC.  Wake up.  Run at 24 Hour Fitness because I was a chicken about running where we were.  Get ready for the day.  Drive Sue to her radiation treatment.  Go to lunch.  Shop with the ladies or walk with Dad.  Eat Dinner.  Go to bed really early. 
Every morning Sue asked how my run went.  Then, she would tell my dad we didn't have to drive her to the clinic but was grateful that we did anyway.  When we went to lunch, she wouldn't complain about my dad's sometimes sporatic driving, even though her treatments left her feeling a little nausceous.  She would always say the food was the best at every restaurant.  She thanked me at least three times a day for coming to visit her.  Even though we basically ate and walked around.
Aunt Sue has a contagious laugh and finds things funny easily.  I was crying from laughter a couple of times and I am not really sure why I was laughing.

I enjoyed my walks with my Dad and watching my mom hunt out good deals.  And I really appreciated my time with Aunt Sue.



No comments:

Post a Comment