Sunday, November 25, 2012

Completely Different

On Thanksgiving, my father-in-law mentioned he saw the mother of one of my high school friends.  He mentioned to her how I was interested in running now and how Jim was an avid cyclist.  She was apparently beyond surprised at our transformations.  To be honest, I'm a little surprised, too.
This past week I was in two large cities.  First, visiting my aunt as she finished her radiation treatments in Salt Lake City, then visiting the in-laws in Denver.  As little as a few months ago, I never, even consider life in a big city as anything worth looking at.  Now, if I had to, I might not mind living in a big city.  Don't worry, this isn't saying anything.  It's just--the person I'm becoming is okay with big cities.  I loved walking to Sprouts to purchase local produce to make dinner for my family in Salt Lake.  I loved going to the frozen yogurt places.  I loved the wide, clean sidewalks and all the people running and cycling.  Then in Denver, I loved LOVED the running trail near my sister-in-laws house.  I loved going to Whole Foods, I loved that Jim could go to a bike shop and drop me off at Target.  I love the option of a running store.  In both places, I loved to see the mountains in the distance.  I love the idea that if we ever have children, there would be so many opportunities for us as we plan to home school. 
I never would have thought that I would be someone who would even consider city living.  I grew up on a llama farm for crying out loud.
And while I love life in Ogallala, I can't deny that letting my thoughts wander this direction makes me think what things would be like elsewhere.  Again, I don't plan to act on these ideas and I still love it here (so locals, don't panic).  But, with the newness of Jim and I having worn off here in town, things having been officially settled, things are different.  Some of the people I thought were going to be friends, simply aren't.  Things I was hoping to be a part of I'm not.  Some things turned out way better than imagined (like getting a job I love and having more students).  But some things have dwindled away because we aren't new anymore.  Which would happen anywhere, I suppose.

Anyway, on a more fun and less serious note... I really did LOVE the running trail near Lezlie's.  Miles and miles uninterrupted by traffic.  Lightly graveled and so many cool things like bridges to run under and over.  Creeks, trees, dogs and their owners.  The only people I met were just out getting exercise.  Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment