Monday, December 17, 2012

Choir Concert

Tonight, as we celebrate Jim's birthday, we attended a choir concert under the direction of the new instructor, Mr. Work.  I was excited to be able to attend this concert as I haven't seen him in action yet. 
So, before talking about the concert, I wanted to finish a story about seeing The Hobbit in theatre on Friday night.  If you remember from a post earlier today, I mentioned bringing it up again.  It was actually a terrifying experience that ended up being nothing, but was enough to have me in tears for the first portion of the movie.
When we arrived, extra early to ensure good seats, we were ahead of a young guy and his younger brother.  He was wearing a leather jacket over a hooded sweatshirt. As we waited for our popcorn, a full face mask fell out of the inside of his jacket.  His brother pointed it out to him and he seemed to get upset, telling him to "sh" and that it was "his mask" and quickly put it back on the inside of his jacket.  I told Jim right away that I was nervous, as this mask didn't represent anything in the Hobbit, it was more of a white thing with bright red lips.  Jim said not to worry, but that didn't stop me from taking note of where mask-man was sitting.
It also didn't stop me from noticing the kids sitting in front of me, most of them kids from the band.  And across the way, a graduate of the band and his sisters.  So, I watched the guy with more diligence... the poor kid probably wondered why he felt like someone was staring at him all night.  Yup, that was me.  But, frankly, I think he deserved it after the lights went down and he put his hood up and covered his face with the mask.  I told Jim we had to do something right then.  He went and talked to him.  Seemed like a nice kid, just wanted to be nerdy while watching a nerdy movie.  Jim looked him over to make sure there were no signs of anything we should be concerned about, but it didn't really feel like enough.
The first part of The Hobbit had me in tears as I looked at the back of the heads of the kids in front of me.  I gave her flute lessons--she plays the trumpet.  He was so close to making it into All-State last year.  Not only that, but I knew these kids by name, I knew most of their parents.
Even though mask-man was a nice guy and didn't do anything else suspicious all night, I was watching him carefully.  Then I realized I was probably the creepiest person in the room, because I just wanted to hug those kids in front of me and tell them how awesome they all are!

So at tonight's concert I enjoyed the performance of talented, kind and hard working kids.  Mr. Work did a great job and the choir was very, very good.  The show choir was particularly impressive-- the dance moves! 

Kids of Ogallala- I love ya', thanks for rocking at concerts and everything you do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment