Sunday, December 2, 2012

Jingle Bell Run

My first Jingle Bell run was last year.  We met the Helzer's in the North Platte gym.  Jim was sick, so he supported from the sidelines.  Nate, Danielle and I started the race together, but Danielle's competitive spirit and determined edge took her ahead of Nate and I.  Nate even blasted ahead of me at the last few blocks.  It was the first 5K I ran the whole thing.  I can't believe that was only a year ago!
This year was quite a bit different.  We got up early so I could get things ready.  Before I left, I was wearing my running tights and a velvety white dress.


By the time we got there, I was in my full on Angel costume, complete with wings, halo and sparkles.  Jim had a little too much fun sparkling me in the parking lot, but you can't see them in the picture.  I'm still finding them today, after two showers.
We started too far back, having listened to the warning about those who were serious about racing.  Being in costume, I didn't know how I would do, so I wanted to start a little ways back, just in case.
Unfortunately, a lot of people didn't listen to the warning and walkers were starting right up in the first couple of lines in a race of almost 700 people.
Yeah.
I spent the first quarter of the race dodging walkers.  Then, the next quarter passing the joggers.  Then, the last half passing people.  But, I didn't pass everyone.  They announced the top three in age groups, and based on times, I was most likely number four.  Jim took off and beat me by about 30 seconds.



I saw a lot of people from Ogallala at the race and talked to Kelly Crimble, a fantastic athlete that I admire so much (she won the Platte River Fitness Series this year!).   They always give cool hoodies, though I like last year better.  I also apparently made the front page of the North Platte Telegraph, something I haven't seen yet.

Afterwards, we came home, showered, and went to Jim's work.  Where we spent from 1 until 9 in the afternoon organizing Jim's desk.  We threw away a little over three large garbage bins full of paperwork, old capacitors, etc.  We also organized his paperwork, which was my favorite part, because, if you haven't noticed, I'm kind of an organization freak.

No comments:

Post a Comment