Saturday, December 8, 2012

Early Celebrations

Christmas time is not only busy for us because of the major holiday, but we also celebrate my husband's birthday and our anniversary.  In order to get all of that celebrating done we started early.

This week, our little town had it's last parade of the year-- the Festival of Lights parade.  It was not one of the most spectacular parades I've seen this town do, but it was nicer weather than is usual for this particular event.
To start the season off right, the downtown businesses now stay open late Thursday nights.  So, to help kick that off, and really, as my own little way to feel better about not having a lot of performance opportunities, I set up a corner in the Lampstand (the best coffee shop around) and played some Christmas carols on the flute.  It was very informal, though I did have a small group of listeners from my church come and listen.  It was a good time-- not quite like the orchestra or concert band experience I've been missing, but at least it gave me a reason to practice again.

Continuing the celebration, we started this weekend with a date at home night watching a movie (which isn't unusual... that could be any given night at this house), then up bright and early this morning (Saturday) to drive to North Platte for an early anniversary appointment.  Since our anniversary is the 23rd and we will be busy with Christmas company, I scheduled this early.  We had two hours of dance lessons with a dance instructor.  We spent a majority of the time learning the basic steps to the waltz.  We can dance, twirl, promenade and another step I can't remember the name of but I know how to do because it was the hardest so I worked on it the most.  I would have pictures of this but forgot because I was having way too much fun.
 The Lampstand

 Go OMS band!  Sounded great!

The Stage Dance Studio.



After that we dropped by a bike shop in North Platte (that doesn't sound typical of us at all, does it?) and I found a bike that might replace the bike that makes me cry.  If you didn't know about that, my new road bike that we purchased this summer has resulted in crying at almost every riding and at least one meltdown.  Jim has determined it is just too much bike for me so soon.  So, we looked and found a bike much more my speed (with extra sets of brakes, shorter, etc.) and found a cute one in pretty light blue.  If we can sell the one from last summer for a decent price, I will be trying this bike, in hopes that I will be able to join my husband in longer rides this coming year. 

After that we went to my favorite date night location-- Cold Stone.  Since I have nearly eliminated sugar from my diet (I admit to an indulgence here and there and everywhere), Cold Stone hasn't happened in a while.  I did take a few bites of the delicious dark chocolate mint ice cream that used to be my staple take home when I worked at the Rapid City store.  But, I truly enjoyed my sugar free peach sorbet with strawberries, blueberries and raspberries mixed in.  Mmmmm.

Then, because you can't have icecream for lunch, even if it is mixed with fruit, we went to the Open Range.  I had my now usual of the steak salad and we shared some sweet potato fries.

After that, we picked up some sparkling wine to be enjoyed as an anniversary treat, and Christmas treat. 

Tomorrow, we have the Nelson's coming over for lunch after church.  Then, an early choir practice and the church Christmas party... adults only.  It includes a white elephant gift exchange with a lot of adults exchanging.  Always promises to be a good time and I look forward to it this year again as well.  I will do my best to get pictures.

1 comment:

  1. You know, if you're missing concert band... :) Let's just say we have a couple of extra chairs in the band room. Come play with us some time!

    ReplyDelete