Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Christmas Prep

Maybe all the blogs in the blogosphere will be posting about Christmas prep.  To be frank, I don't really care what they are doing, since this is a private blog for random people who seem to still remain interested, months after it's beginnings. So, with that said, I'm going to be generic and talk about Christmas now.

First I'd like to say that I don't like decorating for Christmas.  I do enjoy driving around and appreciating the work others have put into their front yards.  I also enjoy walking into houses that magically smell like sugar cookies and cinnamon from black Friday all the to New Years eve, even if the person doesn't bake.  I think it's cute when I visit someone whose whole decor is now red and silver and glittery, down to the mugs the hot chocolate is served.

I do not enjoy, however, having those things in my house. 

I don't know if you know this about me or not, but I am kind of a wanna-be minimalist.  The word "stuff" turns my stomach and I question every little thing I own-- down to knowing we have too many pens in the house.  That doesn't mean I am anywhere near a minimalist.  I don't live with one, so right off the bat I am stuck with bins of Lego's and old college papers.  I also have a life with some at least somewhat interesting hobbies in it, and hobbies require stuff.  So, while I like the idea of being the kind of person who doesn't have stuff, I'm content with being a person who guards her heart against having too much stuff.




So, when it comes to Christmas, I really, really don't like having all the stuff to decorate with.  We have one tote and a box with our reusable tree.  The tote contains extra lights, my nativity scene, the balls that go on the tree and two light up angel things.  My tree is simple.  I feel bad for my children as they won't be seeing their homemade ornaments on the tree.  Sorry, kids.  Your mom is insane.  And the above decorations are what you are stuck with.  At least when I'm dead you won't have thirty boxes of Christmas decor to sort out.

On another completely random note, I have been working on making my private lessons a little more official, business like.  I love the way things are going, but this week (the first week of the month) always makes me nervous, as I never know if people will pay me or not.  So I hold my breath, hope I get paid so I don't have to call parents, and go on. 
Most of the time, it is a simple matter of students forgetting to actually hand the check to me.  I'm usually pretty good about asking, but let's be honest-- that's not what lessons are for, and "hi, Johnny, do you have my money?" isn't exactly the nicest way to start a month.
So hopefully this little picture will remind the kids that while I love teaching them, I'm not rich enough to support this as a hobby.


1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm......wondering if you can add the angry baby picture to rental statements when you mail them out................

    : )

    ReplyDelete