Monday, February 6, 2012

By Smell...

Sunday we had Nate and Danielle over for lunch to help us with the enormous turkey breast we had made.  We tend to over buy our turkey because then it works out where it should just be getting done when we get home from church.  It was really nice of them to come and bring desert (which was delicious!).  But even with help, we had a lot of leftovers. 
Having an inkling that this might be the case when I decided to put turkey randomly on the menu (which we do probably once a month, because we both love turkey), I decided to try my hand at homemade pita pockets, using this recipe.
Now, the recipe tastes awesome and worked out pretty well, but of course, next time they will turn out a little better.  This time they didn't really act like "pockets" (I think I needed to make them a little bigger).  So, they won't be the easiest pita pockets to eat, but I've never claimed to be a clean eater anyway.

Jim has shown me how to perfect cooking peppers for pitas/paninis/etc.  It's by smell and makes me feel kind of like a food Jedi.  "You will smell good, green peppers!"... Okay, that was a stretch, I admit it.
Anyway, a little olive oil and sea salt sprinkled over orange, red, yellow and green peppers with some pieces of leftover turkey sauted until the veggies are slightly brown and go from smelling like "just food" to "mmm...foood!" , stuffed in homemade pita pockets with a little bit of pepperjack cheese for dinner tonight.  Mm... sometimes I love leftovers.  Tomorrow will be some sort of turkey casserole, and later this week is turkey noodle soup, maybe turkey chilli over the weekend....


3 comments:

  1. You are an iron chef. Those peppers look amazing. And those pitas....killer. We love them warm with butter and cinnamon and sugar :) Thanks for sharing your food with us! Now the pressure's really on us to whip up something delectable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, thanks! I think we've just lucked out and had good food when you were around :). And your veggie chilli was pretty fantastic when we visited your place last. So, I have no doubt it will be good if there comes a next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. turkey pot pie always works at my house...a good way to trick the kids into eating vegetables.

    ReplyDelete