Saturday, February 4, 2012

No Spend Month Re-cap

I thought it was about time to update everyone on the status of our no-spend month January and what we have since spent money on.
No-Spend January was very successful.  We had more money than I anticipated at the end of the month.  We did not go out to eat, we did not go to a movie or rent a movie, we stuck to our grocery list and the two shopping trips.  There were only three exceptions to the no-spend month rules.  We bought some pain medication for Jim's knee (Aleve-$5), an extra gallon of milk, and toothpaste when we ran out... I thought the rest of the world would appreciate that.
To explain I am just going to be honest with you regarding our grocery budget.  We normally have a grocery budget (specifically, food and cleaning items) of $300 per month.  We aren't too terribly strict with this amount.  Some months will be over that, and some will be under.  It is still my belief, even after our very strict month, that sticking to that amount is not the most important aspect of grocery shopping-- feeding my family is.  Toiletries are above this amount, but aren't an every month expense and vary, so I try to keep it "as cheap as possible".
So this month, after a month of eating out of our pantry and being careful with our expenses, we hit the grocery store.  We left having spent $400, which is actually quite typical for a month when we have to buy dog food (usually an every other month expense).  We bought a few toiletries above that, but it wasn't bad.
So all in all it was a good idea and one we will probably replicate a few times this year.  The next attempts, I think the savings will go directly to our mortgage payments.  Then, when we have a no spend month a few years from now, we won't have that mortgage payment to make.  Wouldn't that be awesome?
This month will not be nearly as strict.  As a matter of fact, we've already been out to eat, been to a movie, gotten hair cuts and I bought some running gear.



I didn't learn anything earth shattering, other than we did eat out a lot more than we should and my body is already used to not eating out.  I would rather eat in and make dinner, as I have really started enjoying cooking and baking.
The first two pictures are pretty self explanatory.   New gloves, hat and top.  Last picture is of the dinner rolls I made this morning for dinner tomorrow.  I also made pita pockets.  Baking is so calming to me.  Too bad most baked items aren't healthy.  These, however, are decent as far as flour items go.  And yes-- that is a mug.  I don't have fancy dough cutters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment