Monday, June 11, 2012

Entry

 1 Peter 4:9 says I'm to show hospitality to others without grumbling.
Titus 1:8 lists hospitable as a positive attribute.
even the "Proverbs 31 wife" is hospitable (I wish this lady hadn't been so darned awesome.  It's a lot to live up to!).

At one point in the not-so-distant past I believed that hostessing was a gift only bestowed to certain people and since my gifts were not of that direction I was allowed to ignore these verses.  I thought of it kind of like having someone on worship team who just couldn't carry a tune.  That was until I realized that there are no verses requiring people to be on the worship team or in the church choir (you can make a joyful noise elsewhere) but there is no loophole for hospitality.  It's there and it's important.

And I understand why.  I basically became a Parrish through Sunday afternoon dinners at the Parrish house.  I spent hours with that family before Jim and I were ever officially dating.  People get to know you in a special way seeing your house and how your family operates and you get to know people by spending time with them, asking questions, building relationships. 


I love the entry into my house.  It's plain, efficient, kind of pretty.  It's also the introduction to my house, my life and what people are about to experience in the crazy Parrish household. Here, the food may not always turn out perfect, I might forget to offer you a drink, you might have a dog of any size jump at you at any moment and we might ask you to play Gran Turismo or Guitar Hero.  Here you will be welcomed and the conversation cherished.  Here I will build relationships and do what God has asked because he has given me here to work with.


No comments:

Post a Comment