Saturday, June 2, 2012

Spoiled


I can't deny, even in the slightest, that I live a pretty cozy little life.  I am totally spoiled in every way I can think possible.  And this is not just because I'm a privileged white female in America, though that's a part of it.
I started life with parents who took care of me.  I had to work for things, but if I ever needed anything they took care of it.  They paid for lessons, month after month, on instrument after instrument.  They bought reeds, cleaners, instruments themselves.  They came to concerts, driving across the state for some.  In college they paid for car insurance so I wouldn't have to.  They paid for our wedding and our honeymoon.  Today, we still receive kind gifts from them like Omaha steaks (GREAT birthday present, by the way!).  They loved me, even when they didn't say anything.  I was never afraid that my parents would do anything harmful to me.
I transitioned from being under my parents care to my husband, who spoils me worse than they did.  I am treated, on a daily basis, like a princess.  I'm daily affirmed in my marriage by a husband who loves me, thinks I'm beautiful and likes to tell me so.  He refuses to let me open a door for myself if he can help it (something I've come to expect of all men... which sometimes gets me into trouble).  He works hard at his job and takes good care of me.  I remember once Taine whispering to me in church "he adores you, doesn't he?".  He really does and I haven't the slightest idea why.  We also both have the bad habit of buying things the other says they want... which is why I'm typing this post on a new laptop.
At home I am also spoiled by three loving dogs.  Three dogs who can barely stand me being in the room without some love and attention.
I'm spoiled by living in a town of amazing people.  People who offer blankets on a cold night at the beach without being asked.  People who watch out for me while I run, or offer rides when I'm walking to work.  People who visit the store just to say "hi".  People who are kind and encouraging. 
I'm spoiled by going to a fantastic church that welcomed us so quickly and allowed me to get right into playing music... the gift God has given me to worship Him with (another thing He has spoiled me with!).
I'm spoiled with a job where my bosses are Christians and I go every day knowing I'm going somewhere I want to be.
I'm spoiled with friends who stretch my limits, who encourage me and who I would gladly jump off a bridge for. 
I'm spoiled with a beautiful home and the capacity to care for it.  I'm spoiled with the ability to be active.  I'm spoiled with a not-so-terrible-looking face.  I'm spoiled to have a functioning brain. 
I'm spoiled to have a Savior who was willing to forgive this spoiled brat regardless of her many faults.  I'm spoiled that I've had 25 years of these blessings. 
And I know at any time it all can be taken away-- except my Savior.

And today, the day after my birthday, I was spoiled with a trip to a movie and a husband who helped clean the house and brush the dogs. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment