Saturday, June 9, 2012

Worst. Ever.

I'm a casual runner.  You can translate that into "slow".  I have done very few speed workouts primarily because I don't know what those would be.  I was never trained to run-- I just put shoes on and went.  When I started adding miles and running with someone I started reading up on it.  I bought shoes that were appropriate for my pronation and read up on form and other running related things.  I figured out what "PR" stood for, found a definition for fartlek runs, etc.
One of the things a person reads while researching running about a million times is that not all runs will be great.  I don't know if it's said as encouragement or if it's just an easily forgotten truth.  Regardless, it's probably the most made comment on running that I've seen.
As someone whose primary objective with running is to continue doing it for years to come, I thought that I had experienced this.  I've had those days when it doesn't matter how good my form is or how well I pace myself I still end up going a bit slower and feeling tight the whole run.  It's usually a "bit" slower, though, not anything drastic and I still feel great afterwards.

I would have loved one of those days today.

But I'm going to chalk today up as a learning experience.  I had other obligations this morning that pushed back my run to around 10:30.  I talked Jim into joining me because he loves running in hot weather and 80 degrees is just his thing (crazy man!).  Out we went on one of my typical routes.  I was very aware of my pace, trying to stay below what I think my 5K pace is (but let's be honest here, I don't really have any idea what my 5K pace is) so that Jim and I were running "easy" and together.

At one point, Jim cut off and met me later so I could get some more miles in.

By the time I got to him, my legs were cramped and I had a side cramp all through my right side.  It was about this time that I realized I hadn't had anything to drink at all yet today and had one little yogurt about 3 hours prior.  80 was feeling pretty hot, but I was on the other side of town and had at least two miles to get home.  So, I stretched what I could and kept going.  Every half mile we stopped until finally we walked the last half mile.  By then I was wheezing and felt like I wasn't getting enough oxygen in.  I was embarrassed as the supposed "runner" of the family, being catered to by my "newbie" husband.  Luckily, he's a sweetheart and was just encouraging the whole way.

It's a humbling experience to not be able to go your normal number of miles no matter the reason.  And since I find it important to remain humble, I'm going to share a picture of me post worst-run-ever.  At one point, the thought of people seeing me after a run would have horrified me... it's why I ran inside for so long.  I got over that when God gave me a running partner, but I rarely do anything but go straight to the shower and doing my hair before anyone else can see me.   
Today, I feel like I earned every one of those horrible miles, so this picture, as embarrassing as it is, is a truth I can live with. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh I hear ya. The other day I downed a not so small bag of cheddar Chex mix (not one of my finest eating moments), and then I decided to run 5 miles when it was about 91 degrees outside. The whole time I felt like I'd blow up in the midsection. I had to stop twice. It was not pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look like someone who accomplished their goal. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle- I kept thinking if you could run 26.2 in hot weather, I could surely do the 5 I did today! It was definitely not the smartest plan.
    Laura- Thanks. Actually, the goal was a couple more miles today and it wasn't even a "long" run. But it was nice of you to see that side of the photo, instead of the "you look really nasty!" part. Haha.

    ReplyDelete