Thursday, May 31, 2012

Magnetic Purse Covers and Raspberry Mousse

I got a 20% off card in the mail from the Clothing Closet here in town.  Karrie is just so sweet, so I had to come and look at some cute stuff!  I ended up with a white and blue floral bill fold.  Something very girly, slightly old-lady-ish, but fun.
Getting this cute item made me look at the current brown purse I've been carrying around.  This purse served me well for four years before it started to fall apart.  I purchased another purse, but I kept crawling back.  Creature of habit and being kind of a style idiot made me like the normal, plain brown bag.
Well, no more.  The other purse I purchased was a Miche bag... for those who don't know what that is, it's a plain bag that you can purchase covers for, so you can only have one purse with multiple options.  Love the idea.  Then, after the initial purchase, I found out how much the covers cost. More than my beloved brown purse.
I found one I thought was cute but was not worth the $35 they were asking (yeah...).  So, I got all crafty and cheap. 
Purchased magnets, fabric and glue for all around $15 (magnets, it turns our, aren't cheap).  But, I got two purse covers out of the deal plus a lot of leftover fabric for when these homemade guys fall apart, I'll just make more.

In case you are someone googling how to make these like I did, it's easy!  I used a cardboard box from a 12 pack of pop (proud of Jim, it took him forever to finish those!).  It actually fit perfectly in the grooves.  I just put the purse in, marked with a pen where I needed to cut and there you go.  I picked out a fabric, wrapped the cardboard on the outside and glued with regular tacky glue on all sides.  I glued the magnets on the cardboard before gluing down the top portion of fabric.  Then I decorated.  I used flower brads and a fabric strip on one, and ribbon on the other.

I love simple, don't-have-to-be-good-at-sewing crafts.






The other pictured item is my raspberry mousse for my birthday cake before it was cooled.  So super easy, mostly healthy and awesome!  1 Package raspberries, 1 cup heavy whipping cream, 1 Tbspn sugar blended with a handmixer until creamy.  Refrigerate so it solidifies.  I put it in layers of a dark chocolate cake made with maple syrup instead of sugar (I know, maple syrup has sugar in it.  But having fresh, Minnesotan maple syrup makes it worth it to me!).

Tomorrow is the day we've all been waiting for!!!  Happy Birthday to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment