Saturday, May 19, 2012

Dark and Dreary Saturday and RECIPE

Initially, the plan for today was to go on an 8 mile run, mow the lawn, pull weeds, clean out the garage, give the dogs a bath and maybe a long bike ride this afternoon.  That didn't happen.
Instead, God perfectly directed Danielle and I to head towards town early and placed us a couple blocks from our cars when the hail hit and we still got a nice chat in at the Lampstand over drinks.

now, I'm at home and haven't stepped foot outside except to brush the dogs, who are all now asleep on my freshly cleaned rug.  My guitar is sitting on the couch and Jim is working on fixing a TV for the shop.  Our TV has been off all morning.  It's been just a nice, quiet, warm day inside so far.

Which brings me to my recipe.  Now, some of you know that I am trying to wean myself off of sugar.  It's the last of the bad-for-you's to go and it's the hardest.  Not to say that I am eating dessert all the time, but when a cookie presents itself, I eat it.  So, instead of going cold turkey, I decided to slowly go healthier in my desserts.  First, with CCK, I highly recommend her by the way, and now with my own little experiments.  And today I found a keeper!

Alicia, if you are still trying to introduce oats into your diet, I think you would LOVE this.  Runners, this might be a great after run snack.  I am not proud to say that it was a lot of "sprinkle this, dash of that" on my part, so I'll try to do my best with measurements.  However, I don't know of one bad ingredient in here (depending on the chocolate you use), of course.

I call my new creation


Banana Cinnamon Cookies

To make approximately 15 bite sized cookies.

1 Banana
3/4 Cup Rolled Oats
1 tsp Cinnamon (or, sprinkle over banana and oats until you think it's enough)
A little less than 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil, melted
1 tsp baking powder
A small shot of vanilla (optional) a very small amount of honey
1 more Cup Rolled Oats
Chocolate Chips (I used Hersheys sugar free)

Preheat oven to 350.

Blend or food process first 5 ingredients until smooth.  Add remaining rolled oats and chocolate chips, stir, make into cookie sizes.  You might put parchment paper down on your cookie sheet first, mine doesn't stick often so I didn't bother.  Bake for 10 minutes or so.

And, if you don't want them as cookies, eating the blended mixture I thought it tasted a lot like oatmeal, so halfing the recipe and heating in a bowl in the microwave for a little bit might be an awesome breakfast.

I'm very proud of this little recipe, if you haven't noticed.  :)  They do have that hint of banana you would expect, so if you don't like banana you probably won't like them.  But, I don't hate banana and it sure beats never having that baked good texture again.

Have a great Saturday, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I actually make a couple of different recipes that are pretty similar to this one. I'll have to try yours sounds yummy!!

    ReplyDelete