Sunday, May 13, 2012

Haley and Grandma

Saturday, we said goodbye to Grandma Hillis and Aunt Kathy.  While we were in Grand Forks, we stayed at a fancy hotel, provided by grandma.  We had dinner in the hotel lobby with all of Uncle John's kids, Grandma and Aunt Kathy.  I look really awkward in this picture but that's okay.  It was a nice visit.
We took off kind of early Saturday to make it to Fargo to say "hi" to Haley, my friend from high school.  A lot has changed for both of us since the last time we spent time together.  I used to go to her trailer before college band and we would take turns cooking dinner.  Now, she lives in Fargo and is a rep for a bank chain.  It was so nice to have lunch with her (and she introduced me to Tutti Fruiti!)

We made it as far Chamberlain Saturday.  We walked across the highway from our hotel to a Dairy Queen attached to a gas station, brought the food back and ate in silence at our hotel.  We considered a late night swim but fell asleep before we could decide what we wanted to do.  It was more exhausting to sit in the car all day than it is on days that I have a long run and am physically active all day.

We drove right through Winner, SD, where my grandparents lived and are now buried.  We stopped by their grave.  When my grandmother passed away in '07, someone put a glow-in-the-dark cross near her grave.  It was still there today!  The house they lived in was the same, down to the llama figurine at the top of the tool shed.  
It was nice to think about my grandma on Mother's Day.  I like being able to celebrate the great women who have been in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment