Tuesday, May 22, 2012

What IS this?

I have been given another wonderful opportunity to show my ignorance and I'm just going to cut to the chase.

What is this thing?

With a little google research, it looks most like a Hawkmoth, or Hummingmoth.  However, all-knowing Wikipedia says they don't live in America.  There was another breed that apparently lives in the US, but didn't look like the little guy we saw.

So, if you've seen this kind of fella' around, I'd like to know what it is.  Other than awesome.  

5 comments:

  1. We've always just called them hummingbird moths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. White lined sphinx hummingbird moth. Pretty cool creatures to have around. Here's the wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-lined_Sphinx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, gentlemen.

    Micah- I opened your invitation on my phone and have not been able to read your blog since :( would you mind re-inviting me? I'd love to keep reading, you are a great writer!

    ReplyDelete