Monday, May 14, 2012

Why Music Is Important

This evening, I was invited to a special Tri-M induction meeting.  I became an honorary member because someone nominated me and I was voted in.  It was humbling, knowing high school kids picked me (which never would have happened when I was actually in high school) and to experience such a kind recognition.
Because I had to give a speech and Jim insists I post it, here is my speech on why music is important.


When Mr. Schlake contacted me about tonight, he asked if I would mind saying a few words about why music is important.  Given my current audience, I'm sure these thoughts aren't anything new.  And of course, they are going to be a bit biased coming from a musician, but I will share them with you anyway.

Music is a natural response.  When we hear good news, we dance.  When tragedy strikes, we gather together and sing.  In everyday tasks we develop a rhythm.  One of the most common involuntary actions is to hum.  It is a part of virtually every civic and religious ceremony, a part that, left undone, would leave the ceremony feeling empty.

Music is an international language.  It is recognized by every culture and sheet music can be read in every language.

Music creates community.  We gather for a variety of reasons, but a consistent element to gatherings is music.  It is the background to great conversation; it is the bravery behind a boy asking a girl to dance.  It shapes the collective mood of the people listening to it and brings those within earshot together.

Being a musician creates skills that we find useful in all areas of life.  Musicians work as a team to produce the desired outcome and discipline their bodies to proper form, much like athletes.  We communicate by cleverly turned phrases and appropriate pauses, like writers.  We represent themes like artists.  We perfect the math of rhythm and the science of sound and we share history.  We perform in front of an audience.  We are delicate and hushed and loud and vibrant-- but only when the time is right.  We work diligently to perform at our top level for the task at hand, even when it is difficult.

And for me, music is my opportunity to be a part of a bigger picture.  I am a small part of a whole sound.  It has been my privilege to perform behind and among some of the most talented musicians I've known here in Ogallala.  Regardless of my contribution, the whole sound has always been of the highest quality.  It is an honor to work with such kind, dedicated and talented people.  And this recognition is also a huge honor.  Thank you

1 comment:

  1. I love your speech!! It was an honor to be inducted along with one of my greatest teachers.

    ReplyDelete