Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Blanket

That is what Lake Superior looks like.  A rippling blanket that never ends.  At lake level you can't see any land in all directions but the coast you are standing on.  It doesn't have waves like the ocean so it just ripples for miles and miles and fades into the sky at the horizon.  From where I'm sitting right now, on the bed in our suite, I can see the trees outside and the water beyond. That's it.  No ground at all, just water.  It's incredible.
I ran south on the Gichi Gami (I think I spelled that wrong) bike trail for my morning run.  The south side doesn't really look at the lake but goes into the forest, moving further and further away from the highway.  I turned around after hearing one too many twigs breaking around me.  Luckily I was at a decent mileage. Tomorrow, I go north, which is more lake views and a longer trail... and from what I can tell, less hills (thank you!).
We biked to breakfast this morning.  Normally, I am a light eater at breakfast so I my eyes were bigger than my stomach when I ordered the granola pancakes with local maple syrup and fresh fruit.  To burn off those extra morning calories we continued riding our bikes for a few miles.  At noon, we met our guide, Andy, who took us to Caribou Falls (and since they no longer see caribou here, it's kind of a funny name).  It was a short, less than a mile hike to the top of the falls. 

We hiked by ourselves around Temperance State Park, which is just a short distance from our hotel.  It has a rocky beach and a few trails and was a fun afternoon excursion.  Jim skipped rocks and I did some rock artwork.


A little time watching Storm Stories on the weather channel (yikes, by the way), then we got all dressed up for the big dinner date we had planned.  I had a really good salad with a not-so-good duck leg-- a greasy duck leg with a fresh salad?  I also wore my Chinese dress.  Jim actually stared for a while when I "revealed" my outfit.  We were the only ones not in jeans at the restaurant, but it was fun to get attention and the waitress treated us with a little extra fancy flare.



Tonight, we rented a movie from guest services.  We will have hot chocolate by the fireplace while we watch said movie, crack a window to listen to the soft waves as we fall asleep and leave the shades up so we can watch the sunrise in the morning.

Have I mentioned how much I love it here?

1 comment:

  1. Yay! You look great in that dress. Glad to hear you're having such a great time!

    ReplyDelete