Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Mom

Traveling home starts tomorrow so today was my last full day with my mom.  We spent a majority of it with Diana (my sister) and the cute niece and great-niece again.  It wasn't exactly what I had originally intended for my vacation but it's been fun so far.
 My mom was nice enough to come with me to my next running site and even took my picture as I was about done with the 4-miler.  I ran to those mountains and turned around before the first big hill.  Yup, I'm one of those lazy runners who avoid hills when I can.
 I'm glad I ran, because for lunch I had more carbs than is usual.  A chicken BBQ pita and sweet potato fries.  I only ate a few fries after the monster of a pita.  But I can't deny I also ate a bit of my mom's BLAT (Bacon lettuce avacado tomato.  What a funny name).
 After lunch we looked through pictures and the little ones ran the house for a while.  I was exhausted by the time they left.
 Shannon--I'm hooked.
Now on to the real star of the post-- my mom.  This is us about to walk to the mail box, about a mile away.  We do our best talking while walking (probably because I talk to my mom while I walk to work almost every morning).  She complained that this wasn't the best picture-- but I thought we looked cute in our hats and such.  My mom, Betty, is an incredibly giving and caring person.  To take it a step further, she downright spoils me.  I never come to my parents house and leave without something new.  She's also a killer sales and clearance shopper, able to claim most of her wardrobe for under $10 (most of the tops are under $5).

My parents never really verbally "built me up" growing up and it used to really upset me.  My parents never told me I was pretty, or smart, or talented.  But my mom can count on her left hand how many concerts she's missed (because she's made it to almost every single one).  They bought me brand new instruments when I was learning so I had the best chance at success.  And my mom, this weekend, set up for me to play at her church.  I don't know how many times I over heard her say "that's my daughter, she's going to play flute for us today" in a tone that only a proud mother could use.  She also suggested a few times, once by handing me my flute and music, that I play for my sister and nieces.  She has been willing to drop everything for me since I was born and it hasn't stopped yet and I am incredibly blessed to have her as my momma.

I love you, mom!  Thanks for letting me crash at your house, make you my favorite meals and shop with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment