Thursday, March 1, 2012

Yo Yo Society

We live in a yo-yo society, especially health-wise.  Yo-yo dieting and exercising equaling a yo-yo waste-line.  I hear more about how we go through "seasons of life" than I hear about being dedicated and steadfast.  The media can never make up it's mind on anything and the whole country follows suit.  We are in a constant battle of extremes never finding a happy and medium balance.  And I for one am so tired of no one ever being happy about anything. 
Just a few years ago, coconut oil was bad for you.  At the moment it's the best thing in the world.  Eggs were bad, then good (I can't say where they are now).  Milk has been bad and good.  Cheese.  Spinach.  Broccoli.  Chocolate.  Running.  Yoga.  Cushioned shoes.  Minimalist shoes.  Fruit.  Carbs.
A few things remain the same.  "Eat a healthy diet and exercise" is the most commonly accepted weight loss, fitness and health advice.  I hate hearing it, though, because it is so mysterious.  If everything has been deemed good or bad at some point or another, what do you chose as being "healthy"?  And if running and yoga have been considered "bad" at some point, how do I know they are "healthy" decisions?
And, with 30 day programs more popular than actual lifestyle changes, how long do we avoid the may or may not be good for you carbohydrates and how long should one religiously follow the Jillian Michaels DVD?
Whatever happened to everything in moderation being taken seriously?  What ever happened to understanding that there isn't a perfect food or perfect work out, but that both good/healthy food and exercise is good?  And why is fitness considered a "season in life" instead of a lifelong goal?

I don't know how many times I've been told that I will eventually give up running because it's just a season, or that someday I'll revert back to my old eating habits.  I don't know why when diet is discussed there are people who get angry by the things I avoid or don't avoid.  I can't believe how many angry vegetarians attack a meat-eater, or how many people have complained because I choose to avoid processed foods.  I'm surprised that the goal of most women is to lose weight or be thin but the minute someone becomes thin they are told they are "too thin" or accused of things like anorexia (which is completely disrespectful to both the person and the people who struggle with the actual illness).

I admit to allowing these things to dictate my decisions sometimes.  I have fallen victim to a miracle food or two.  I have allowed "too thin" to slip from my lips before.  I have secretly clicked my tongue at the occasional vegetarian.  And I allowed myself to gain 30 pounds after high school.

But I would like to suggest that we stop allowing yo-yo into our lives, especially in relation to others.  Stop dieting for a goal weight instead of just eating healthy all the time, stop taking 30 day challenges.  Stop falling for every health food fad (no matter how hard they try to sell it, unless it's Jesus himself telling me it's true there isn't a perfect food).  Stop claiming a season and start a lifestyle.  Stop lumping people in the "fat" or "big" group or the "too thin" group and instead encourage each other in all areas of our lives to live better without judgement or rude comment.  And to pray that we can come to live better in all areas of our own lives as well.


  



1 comment:

  1. Speaking of coconut oil... Homemade Magic Shell recipe: 2/3 choc chips (carob, dairy free, pick your favorite) 1/3 coconut oil. Melt. Add to fruit, marshmallows, frozen yogurt. I've made frozen bananas and strawberries with it. It's liquid above 70 degrees, it becomes solid below 70. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete