Saturday, April 14, 2012

Heroes

For the past couple weeks we've been watching Heroes in the evenings via Netflix.  We really like getting into series that are completed, because then we don't have to be patient to find out what's next.  We are definitely modern Americans requiring instant gratification-- at least when it comes to entertainment. 
This really doesn't have much to do with the topic I wanted to write about today, except the word hero was involved.
My 1st hero of the day is my husband.  He drove half way to Grant to bring me my hat.  Then, when I didn't arrive home at the time I thought we would, he called me a few times, called Nate (Danielle's husband).  Then, when I was finally at my phone and able to call him back, he informed me he was driving the route we showed him backwards, trying to find us.
 (Small dot on road is Danielle)
You see, today was a very long run for my second hero of the day.  Danielle did her longest run to date today.  20 miles.  I joined her 8 miles in.  Originally she had planned on maybe walking a couple hills, but powerhouse Danielle ran the whole stinkin' thing.
Danielle has been my running partner for the past few months.  I never thought I would be brave enough to run with someone else.  Especially Danielle.  She is thin, athletic, and pretty much awesome in everything, so to say I was intimidated by the idea barely scratches the surface.  Originally what I knew of Danielle was a driven teacher, the assistant cross country coach (so a good runner), into health and nutrition.
During our runs, I learned of her faith in God, some of her struggles in life and how much fun she is.  She encouraged me on that first run and every run since.  I know she ran slower than she would have liked on more than one occasion to accommodate me but never said anything about it. 
From listening to her on our runs, I know how much she loves kids and how hard she works to teach them.  I know how much she loves Christ and how much she desires to be closer to Him.  I've learned a lot about my running partner and friend over the miles.

Danielle will be moving soon, and it hurts my heart a little to know that my Saturday mornings won't be spent on a dirt road for hours with someone else.  I'm going to miss Danielle and Nate.

But as for now, I look forward to cheering them on in Lincoln as they run the half (Nate) and full (Danielle) Marathon.  And I look forward to next week, as we tackle another 12 miler. 

No comments:

Post a Comment