Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Alicia

First off, please ignore the really crazy hair on my part.  I don't know what I did that morning, but wow, I look... strange.

Alicia, on the other hand, is gorgeous as usual in this picture. 

Alicia started a diet and exercise program a year or two before I did and like me, it became more than just a weight loss plan, it became a lifestyle.  She is the definition of diligence to me, continuing on with a diet that can easily be misunderstood, training and running and learning to better her health and her families. 
When we visited her and her family in December, it was pretty much our primary topic of discussion.  Health, fitness, diet.  We had similar views on most everything and those things that we didn't necessarily act the same on (for one example, I still eat bread [homemade with organic products] while she does not) were not things of disagreement, just a difference.

The thing I liked most about discussing these things with Alicia was her attitude.  She, like me, is hard on herself regarding these things but would never attack someone else for their diet plan or lack thereof.  She is encouraging to those of all levels of fitness.  She is the kind of person who lets her actions speak louder than her words in this department.  Not to say she doesn't talk about her fitness (I did just mention that health was basically our main topic of conversation) but seeing her energy and devotion and the results she is able to show speaks much louder than the judgemental glances and comments I've seen from other fitness fanatics.

As I mentioned in my old blog, there are two camps regarding weight and health in the Christian community.  The accept yourself for who you are and the preserve the temple camps.  While most of us fall in between these two on a daily basis, many cling to the side they relate more to in the case of conflict.  The funny thing is, they are both right.  They both have biblical ground to stand on and just temporarily forget the other verses that support the other side.    That is why people like Alicia, who strive for her own personal health but doesn't attack others who don't, are what we need more of in the Christian community.

It's all about balance.  I'll talk more on that tomorrow.  But for now, I thought I'd share a picture of Joe and Jim, the men who have to put up with the dietary and schedule changes we have made to work on our health.



No comments:

Post a Comment