Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pancakes

Sorry for the break.  This next week will feature double picture days since I was relaxed with my posting recently.  The problem I find is that I have so many topics that I want to talk about but I feel they all need special attention and time, something I just don't have often. 

So, today, something simple to hold you over until tomorrow.

Because Jim attends a men's bible study on Saturday mornings that provides breakfast, the only time that we are having breakfast at the same time is Sunday.  I've made it a point the past two months to make a homemade breakfast for the two of us to share.  Unfortunately, I've been late to worship team practice almost every Sunday since I started this, but eventually I will have the schedule figured out.

This morning I made pancakes.  We are out of eggs and almost out of regular milk.  I originally thought I would just make some form of oatmeal, but pancakes still sounded good.  So with a little bit of searching online and substituting with what I had on hand, I made some pretty great pancakes this morning that I thought I would share.

Dark Cherry Oat Pancakes (my version is egg and dairy free)
Made 4 pancakes
2/3 C Flour (I used organic unbleached white)
1 C fruit (I used frozen dark sweet cherries and highly recommend)
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 1/3 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 Tablespoons Rolled Oats (Again, I used Organic)
1 Tablespoon Oil (website suggested vegetable, I used coconut)
2/3 C Milk (I used almond milk)

These come out a little thicker than your average pancake.  I suggest squishing down the fruit so there isn't any dough parts (but, since there isn't egg, you can definitely eat the dough parts with no concern!).

I topped our pancakes with some locally made Strawberry Rhubarb Pineapple jam.  Ever since our honeymoon I have topped my pancakes with jam instead of syrup.  Depending on your jam, it's healthier, and it makes it more fruity!

Being a few minutes late to worship team?  I'm sorry, but totally worth it.  These were awesome.  A combination of pancake and oatmeal.  Mmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment