Monday, January 30, 2012

The Store

For the past two years I have been working part time at the local music store, Lou Kraus Music.  I had started looking at part time work, applying at a couple of hotels for housekeeping jobs because my lessons weren't picking up.  I wasn't looking too seriously because I didn't think I would find something that would allow me to give private lessons and be here for my husband when he had time off. 
Then I received an email.  "Hi, Kristin.  I've been meaning to call, but I'm an email junkie so here it is.......Would you be interested in a part time job?"
So, there I was, an unemployed musician being asked to work at a music store having not even applied.  I didn't even know the job was available.  To top it off, the hours were flexible and willing to work around lessons and my husband's schedule, the business was small and owned by a Christian couple.  Actually, after responding to the initial email with a warning that I don't believe in working on Sundays, Bob responded in length about his view on the matter.
I met with Bob and Shannon a couple of days after and the next week I started my job.  I fell in love with it right away.  Not only was I finally dealing with music everyday, but I haven't stopped learning about music since. 

I can now restring a guitar (though I admit it's slowly and while muttering choice words).  I know how to clean up a trumpet, put together a trap set and put together a Clavinova.  All things I didn't learn in college.
I have also made a lot of connections through this job.  I know directors and teachers from all over the area now.  I have been given performing opportunities and teaching opportunities by being introduced to Mr. Schlake, the local band director.  Mr. Helzer, the choir director here in town and a good friend, seems to always find ways to involve me in his choir concerts and musicals.  My favorite performance of all time was playing in the pit orchestra for The Seussical, where I played four different instruments along side talented musicians.  Not only have I gotten performance opportunities, but I have made friends through these things.  Nate and Danielle Helzer have become friends, which isn't a term I use lightly.  Danielle is my running partner and a fellow woman in Christ whom I respect and enjoy spending time with (Danielle, if my grammar was incorrect there, I apologize!). 
Bob is a great boss and I would consider him a friend, too.  He knows everything about everything in the store and is good at explaining things, even to not-so-bright me.  I don't know how things will go for the next week and a half, as he will be in India on a missions trip.  If you think about it, send a quick prayer for him on this trip!

 Shannon is a fun boss to have.  She doesn't come in often while I'm there-- the joke is she is avoiding me.  She introduces me to all sorts of different foods and introduced me to zappos (love!). 
Luis, the right hand man, is really good at what he does.  He is our car audio guy and repair man.
Other employees include two high school kids.  I work with Cassie a couple of days a week and she is the recipient of much grief at the store.
I don't think I've gone a day without laughing at work.  Multiple times even.  I don't think I've had a day where I've gone home and regretted taking this job.  It's pretty much perfect for me. 

The first picture is our entrance to the shop and the famous wall of Guitars.  The second picture is plain hilarious-- Luis looking at me suspiciously and Bob holding his coffee-- a typical day at the office.  And this final picture is of my desk.




No comments:

Post a Comment