Monday, January 2, 2012

Inventory Day

Though the store was closed for business today, we were more busy than we are normally at Lou Kraus Music.  As the title suggests and most business owners understand, it was inventory day.  A day set aside to check lists, scan barcodes, make sure we have what the government thinks we have and make sure we know what is in stock and what is not. 
I don't know how many people know this about me, but I'm kind of a semi-obsessive list maker.  I love lists, I love organization, I love everything having it's place.  I frequently have "inventory days" at home to determine if the things I own really have a place in my home, if they are good and worthy of taking up space.  There are things that don't fit.  I hate taking up storage space so often times "stock" that doesn't belong is given away or sold.  Sometimes, I hold on in hoping it will become useful one day.  I had multiple clarinets for that reason, most of which have finally been distributed in some way or another to other people.  Sometimes, inventory day can get me into trouble because I find where I'm lacking and that makes me want to shop, sometimes purchasing more things that will later be considered unworthy of taking up space.  Regardless, I like knowing what I have. 
My seriously strange love for list making, the little scanner gun I get to play with, and the full staff all accounted for make inventory day my favorite day at the store.  It flies by, with each little "beep" of my scanner signifying a little check mark in my brain of one more thing scanned and done, a success high with every one. 
Bob, Shannon, Luis and Cassandra were all there today.  I love a full house at the store.  It happens rarely, since there really isn't use of four people at the store on a regular basis.  Unlike the majority of people, I love my job, my bosses and my coworkers.  When I worked at GE Money, I didn't care for what I did, I didn't care for the upper, middle, or lower management, or the fact that there were so many layers of management.  I had a few friends for coworkers but not enough to make up the many most definitely NOT friends.  I had no passion for scanning documents and I made no connections that helped me along in something I was passionate in.
This job (which, I basically got because Shannon liked my laugh and I know something about music) is completely different.  I come to work and do something I like and am surrounded by something I love all day.  I may not be a guitar genius or pro-audio know-it-all and I may have to have Bob answer 95% of the questions people ask (because he is both a guitar genius and pro-audio know-it-all), but I love it.  My bosses are great and fun, my coworkers are funny and nice. 
So today, I celebrate list making and a great job with great people by sharing a picture of our newest LKM team member.  Known as Nachorita by us, Cassie by everyone else, she holds the super-fun scanning gun ready to tackle another row of sheet music!  Thanks, Nacho, I enjoyed it even more with your help!

No comments:

Post a Comment