Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Waiting

I finished my clarinet choir piece and submitted it for review to the principle clarinetist of the group it was written for (Nancy used to be my instructor).  It has my nerves on edge, as Nancy is one of the greatest clarinetists and musicians I know.  If she says the piece is good, I have written something worthy of a professional group of clarinetists, directed by another instructor of mine who is also at the top of my "best musicians" list.  If she says it isn't good, than I have just shown two old instructors that I do not have enough talent in composing on my primary instrument... which would suggest I don't have the talent to compose at all.  I submitted it early this afternoon and have been waiting for her response ever since.
Two weeks ago or so I submitted my piece I was re-writing for the local high school band to the band director to get his approval.  They may put it on the late spring concert.  I don't want him to perform it unless he thinks it is worthy of his talented band.  But I haven't heard back from him.

Holding my breath on compositions is probably the worst.  It is the part of my music "career" that I have the least experience and honestly the least talent.  So this waiting is terrible.  I want someone to tell me if what I've done is any good or if it was a big flop. 

My picture doesn't have a lot to do with waiting, other than when I get nervous the instrument I tend to turn to is piano.  It's another part of the music world I'm not the greatest at, but it is calming to play and the only things I know on it are hymns, which are even better for calming nerves.


No comments:

Post a Comment