Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Trying To Teach Triathlon Training


One of my final purchases of 2011 was The Triathlete's Training Bible.  I have been learning all sorts of interesting things about preparing for this sort of event.  Jim had some interest in competing in the Tri-Ogallala race this coming summer and asked me to help him train.  So, being the organizer and the runner of the family, I’ve taken on the responsibility of learning everything I can about the sport so that my dear husband is prepared.  I plan on helping him with his diet, I plan on training with him and then I’m going to somehow find a big foam finger and cheer him on come race day.  I will have to enlist the help of some high school girls to make one of those snazzy homemade cheering shirts.
I will not be competing in this race.  It is important that I cheer for my husband at the sporting even he wants to be involved in, and I couldn’t be focused on that if I were concerned with my own race.  I also ride a cruiser style bike with no gears.  It will be enough for me to know that I can do it, without the official time or without being involved.  I think I will enjoy being on the sidelines for this race, and the sense of accomplishment my husband will get will be a far better feeling than if I were to do it myself anyway.
It’s exciting that the next few months will be training for us without any stress of my own race.  Because this year, I’ve decided I run for fun.  I am not going to compare myself to other runners as much as I want to, but focus on how great I feel.  I don’t run to race or for anything or anyone else.  And my husband is racing to prove to himself he can do it.  It will be nice to train with him.  Above being my husband, Jim is my absolute best friend and this is one more thing I get to do with him.  


No comments:

Post a Comment