Thursday, January 5, 2012

Responsible for Things

I apologize if I have any daily readers that were disappointed to not find a new post last night.  I had every intention and actually started four or five times before I just gave up and chalked it up to block sort of day... both writers block and photographers block.  Nothing seemed interesting enough to write about, which is entertaining considering the other things I've written about haven't been terribly interesting.
Today is day 5 of our no spend month so there really isn't much to report as far as our actions other than we are still on track, which I would sure hope to be the case not even a full week in.  I was afraid by now we would be craving our favorite dining out options, especially since they aren't available, but so far, none of that.  At least not that is being admitted, anyway.
I did discover on returning from the grocery store I had forgotten something on the grocery list.  Dishwasher detergent capsules.  There are 4 left under the sink.  In an effort to conserve them and still keep my house clean, I have been doing the dishes the normal way.  Don't worry, I'm not complaining, but it's been something new in the Parrish household to have our dishes all hand washed.
Though I wouldn't consider myself a big spender, Jim and I have a tendency to waste money on each other sometimes.  I was thinking about this today as we watched TV during lunch.  The TV and sound system have been two things that Jim has purchased since we moved here that I questioned but eventually gave in because, well, I love him and wanted to see him happy with a new toy.  I didn't think we needed a screen THAT big, or a system that could get THAT loud.
But, I'm guilty of getting things, too.
The couch you see here was a purchase we made when we first moved here.  The kitchen has gadgets that I don't necessarily need (though I use all of them, I hate keeping things I don't use).  This is the view from our front door looking into our home.  I appreciate so much the opportunity to own a home and the things in it and I feel blessed and burdened with the responsibility to keep everything nice.  Now that we aren't spending money I am reminded again of that responsibility for the things I already have.  Why would I want more things to care for?
So today I feel the need to clean my house extra well and take care of my things extra carefully, because God gave them to me and what He gives, no matter how temporary, is my responsibility to care for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment