Saturday, January 7, 2012

My Morning Tea

Danielle, thanks again for the run this morning.  I enjoyed a new route for a change of scenery, even though it was somewhat a lack of scenery.  Thank you, also, for the conversation.  Sometimes I realize we have more in common than I thought and I really enjoy getting to know you
For everyone else, obviously, I went for a run with Danielle this morning.  I was doing laundry before I left and my planning skills lapsed as I started the machine with my winter gear in.  So, I put on capris and a light jacket.  The run was fine, but by the time I got home I was cold.  I even told Jim as I walked in the door "I don't think I'll ever get warm again".  So, after a warm shower, I made a nice hot cup of tea.
I drink Chai Tea a lot, and the Good Earth brand always has quotes on the tab at the end of the tea bag.  Today, mine read:
"Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt".  -Abraham Lincoln.

 I have always loved this quote.  James 1:19 says "... everyone should be slow to speak and quick to listen..." and I've always thought of these together. 
I thought it was quite the coincidence that this quote would appear today after my conversation with Danielle this morning.  As we were cooling down we started talking about comments people make to us.  To talk without thinking seems to be a condition we all suffer from and have all been hurt by.

I admit to hyper-sensitivity and over-analyzing.  Everything people say to me I run through filters to see which ways they could mean it. I'm worse in that I even take into consideration what people DON'T say.  No one said anything nice today, I wonder if that's because there is nothing nice to say?

So this is coming from someone who is very aware of words, and should be taken with a grain of salt.  But, I find myself wondering today how often I've said something to someone without thinking that could have been hurtful? Or, have I held my tongue when I could have been a blessing? 

I remembered a few sore spots in my history this morning.  Comments that were made that when I think of them I have to forgive the person who said them again because my pride builds defenses and I get angry just thinking about them.  I remember lesser comments that have hurt me.  I realize that most often these comments are made without any realization that they could cause pain. 

So, I will pray that God will help me guard my tongue in the coming week.  That I won't hold my tongue from encouragement, but I will hold it from "comment", advice or judgement.  That I will listen more than I speak. That I will speak only when I know what to say, so that I don't prove that I'm a fool (I'll keep that as my little secret) I will guard my mouth (and my typing), to keep myself from calamity (Proverbs 21:23), from unnecessary pain and drama.   I will be quick to apologize and forgive for comments made. 

And I will finish my tea.





1 comment:

  1. Running with you is one of the highlights of my week :) Thanks for the shout-out of gratitude and for the reminder to listen more and speak carefully. Looking forward to this week's run!

    ReplyDelete